A savvy TikTok user has shared a recipe for an affordable meal that costs only 70p for two people. The user, who runs the @costoflivingcrisistips page, created a tomato pasta dish using spaghetti and tomato pasta sauce from Lidl. The video has received over 97,000 likes and has resonated with many viewers who are also struggling to make ends meet.
The recipe consists of two ingredients: spaghetti and tomato pasta sauce. The spaghetti costs only 23p and the tomato pasta sauce is 47p, bringing the total cost to 70p for a meal that serves two people. The user boiled the spaghetti and then mixed it with the tomato pasta sauce. Some viewers suggested adding a 37p garlic baguette to the dish to make it more flavorful.
Miguel Barclay’s One Pound Meals
Chef Miguel Barclay, known for his One Pound Meals books, also shares affordable meal ideas. He challenges himself to create meals that cost only 1 per person by shopping around for the best prices and cutting out unnecessary ingredients. Some of his top recipes include a tomato and basil spaghetti and a chicken and mushroom pie.
Fighting Food Poverty
The TikTok user behind @costoflivingcrisistips and Chef Miguel Barclay are both bringing attention to the issue of food poverty. With prices rising, many families are struggling to afford healthy and nutritious meals. Food poverty has serious consequences on physical and mental health, as well as on children’s ability to learn and develop. Organizations such as the Trussell Trust and the FareShare network are working to address food poverty by providing emergency food supplies and advocating for policy change.
While the recipe shared by the @costoflivingcrisistips TikTok user may not be gourmet, it serves as a reminder of the harsh reality faced by many families who are struggling to make ends meet. By sharing affordable meal ideas and advocating for policy change, we can work towards a future where everyone has access to healthy and nutritious food.
1. Who is the TikTok user behind @costoflivingcrisistips and what other affordable meal recipes have they shared?
2. What is Lidl, and how does it compare to other supermarkets in terms of prices and quality of products?
3. What are some of the top recipes and tips shared by Miguel Barclay in his One Pound Meals books, and how can they help families save money on their meals?
4. What are the main causes and consequences of food poverty, and what are some organizations and initiatives working to address this issue?
5. What are some other affordable meal options and tips for families on a tight budget, and where can they find more information and resources on this topic?