BY MIRANDA NAZZARO – 09/13/23 7:36 PM ET
A federal judge in New Mexico temporarily blocked New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham’s (D) firearm ban, less than a week after the governor issued the controversial ban, according to The Associated Press (AP).
U.S. District Judge David Urias issued the ruling Wednesday amid intense backlash from both sides of the aisle.
In an emergency health order issued last week, Grisham banned the carrying of firearms — both open and concealed carry — in parts of the state that meet a threshold of violent crime, a criteria that only the city of Albuquerque meets.
The restrictions apply to all public places, including government buildings and in open spaces, while police and security personnel are exempt. The order was set to expire after 30 days unless Grisham chose to extend it.
The governor cited a series of recent shootings around the state that have killed children, including an 11-year-old boy outside of a minor league baseball game and a spate of shootings targeting Muslim men last month.
Grisham’s order sparked multiple lawsuits that called for a block of the order, arguing it violates constitutional rights guaranteed in the Second Amendment.
Urias sided with the plaintiffs in several of these cases and granted a temporary restraining order of the governor’s suspension, according to the AP, which said the order will remain in place until an Oct. 3 court hearing.
“I don’t blame her for wanting to take action in the face of terrible acts,” Urias said Wednesday, while noting he was asked to decide on a very narrow question related to citizens’ rights.
Local police have also pushed back against the measure, with both the Albuquerque Police Department and the local county sheriff vowing not to enforce it.